Supporting the Ecuadorian Youth to achieve their higher education goals, and become successful professionals
JUVE ESF Scholarship information and application is located below on this page. (For students in NY, NJ, & CT).
Info on the Maria T. “Maite” Castillo Scholarship is available here. (For students in FL, GA, SC, NC, TN, & AL.)
In 2009, JUVE created the Ecuadorian Scholars Fund (ESF) to support more young Ecuadorians and adults alike achieve their goal of obtaining a college degree, and thus develop as professionals. Our organization created this Fund in the belief that all people deserve the opportunity to develop their potential, regardless of their social status. It is our goal to provide the motivating push and support to achieve their success; and proudly, 2019 is the eleventh year providing scholarships.
The “Ecuadorian Scholars Fund,” is without a doubt the most ambitious and important project, not only for the organization but also for the Ecuadorian community as a whole. To date, over $65,000 have been contributed to our community, and we will continue to work hard to provide more scholarship in the upcoming years’ thanks to the support from public and private sources as well as members from our community. The importance of the ESF is due mostly because its success has a long-term and direct impact in the life of those who will benefit through the scholarship, helping them to obtain a college degree, and thus develop as professionals and better citizens.
This scholarship is intended to assist students in the tri-state area of New York (NY, NJ, and CT), in paying related expenses for their studies at educational institutions in the United States. Five students are selected every year for a JUVE ESF scholarship of $1,000 each. The scholarship is provided to students seeking higher education regardless of immigration status. The organization will use information from the Department of Education and/or local universities to verify that students meet the criteria for these scholarships. Information on specific documents/application materials needed to be uploaded to the application can be found in their respective sections of the application (after the eligibility questions). The application and all of it’s required written components must be completed in English. The requirements to apply and participate in the scholarship competition are:
- Must be an Ecuadorian citizen or of Ecuadorian descent
- Must be residing in (hometown) or studying in the following states: New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut
- Must be enrolled in – or accepted to – a program of study in the fall and/or spring semesters of the 2022-2023 academic year at an accredited university in the United States
- Exception: High school seniors interested in applying for the scholarship must plan to enroll in a university during the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Must have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Must write an argumentative essay on the topic of this year’s application cycle (see below)
- If selected as a scholarship recipient, the student must complete a minimum of 25 hours of community service with JUVE and/or a community partner of JUVE.
- (Optional) Supplementary materials showcasing the applicant’s involvement in activities outside of school can be uploaded to the application. Information on examples of supplementary materials can be found under the section ‘Supplementary Materials (Optional)’ within the application.
What initiatives would you develop to help parents of first and second generation youth in the Ecuadorian and Hispanic community become more involved and informed of educational resources and professional development opportunities for their children to succeed in college?
The ESF scholarship contest has been extended – applications will close on October 30th, 2022 at 11:59pm EST.
The deadline for this year's scholarship contest has passed. We encourage you to follow us and become part of Juventud Ecuatoriana on Facebook and Instagram to learn more about our activities and when the next year's contest will open.FOLLOW JUVE ON FACEBOOK